Care Guide for Pocket Squares: How To Wash and Store
February 26, 2023
The pocket square is a simple yet stylish accessory that can add a touch of class to any outfit. Whether you prefer a classic white linen pocket square or a bold patterned silk one, this accessory can complete your look and make you stand out from the crowd. However, keeping your pocket square looking its best requires some care and attention. In this guide, we'll show you how to properly wash and store your pocket square to keep it looking sharp and stylish, so you can elevate your wardrobe with this timeless accessory.
The Right Way To Wash Pocket Squares
Washing Pocket Squares in the Washer
- Check the care label on your pocket square for washing instructions. If it's machine washable, sort your pocket squares by color and fabric type.
- Pre-treat any stains by applying a small amount of detergent or stain remover directly to the affected area.
- Place the pocket squares in a mesh bag to prevent tangling and wear during the wash cycle.
- Select a delicate cycle and use cold water to prevent shrinking or fading.
- Add a small amount of mild detergent according to the package instructions. Avoid using fabric softeners or bleach as it may damage the fabric.
- Start the wash cycle and wait until it's finished.
- Remove the pocket squares from the washer and reshape them if necessary.
- Hang the pocket squares to dry. Avoid using the dryer as it may shrink or damage the fabric.
- Fill a sink or basin with cool water and add a small amount of mild detergent.
- Submerge the pocket square in the water and gently scrub it with your hands to remove any dirt or stains.
- Drain the soapy water and refill the sink or basin with clean water. Rinse off any soap residue.
- Squeeze out the excess water gently. Do not twist or wring the fabric to prevent damage.
- Reshape the pocket square if necessary and lay it flat on a clean towel to air dry.
If the care label on your pocket square says "Dry Clean Only," take it to a professional dry cleaner. Do not attempt to wash it at home as it may damage the fabric or color.
How Often To Wash Pocket Squares
Pocket squares should be spot cleaned as needed with a gentle detergent, taking care not to soak or scrub the fabric, and then air-dried.
The Right Way To Store Pocket Squares
How to Fold Pocket Squares
- Lay the pocket square flat on a surface.
- Bring the bottom of the square up to meet the top, folding it in half.
- Bring the left side of the square to meet the right, creating a smaller square.
- Smooth out any wrinkles or creases.
Expert Advice for Maintaining The Quality Of Your Pocket Squares
To keep pocket squares in top shape, it's important to follow a few practical tips. Firstly, it's advisable to wash pocket squares separately from other garments to avoid damage caused by friction or snagging. It's also recommended to use a gentle, mild detergent to protect the fabric, and to avoid using fabric softeners or bleach as they may damage the fibers. Investing in a mesh bag to protect the pocket squares during washing can help reduce wear and tear. To prevent color bleeding, especially for new pocket squares, use salt as a mordant or dye-fixer. Additionally, it's a good idea to reshape the pocket squares while they're still damp, and to air-dry them instead of using a dryer, as this can help prevent shrinkage and damage to the fabric. Lastly, following the care label instructions is key to keeping pocket squares in top shape, so always refer to the manufacturer's recommendations for best results.
Just a friendly reminder that this care guide for pocket squares only provides general advice. Your pocket squares may have specific care requirements based on its material, style, and manufacturer instructions, so always check the care label before washing or storing it. If you're unsure about anything, it's always best to consult a professional cleaner. Please note that the author of this guide is not responsible for any damages or losses resulting from the use or misuse of any information from this blog.
Want to share this?