How To Remove Gatorade Stain From Washable Fabrics
February 14, 2023
Gatorade is a popular sports drink that's loved by athletes and fitness enthusiasts for its ability to replenish electrolytes and provide a burst of energy. However, it's not so loved when it ends up spilling on your clothes or other washable fabrics. Gatorade stains can be tough to remove, especially if they've been left to set in. If you're looking for effective ways to get rid of Gatorade stains and save your favorite clothing items from ruin, you're in the right place. In this article, we'll share some easy-to-follow tips and tricks for removing Gatorade stains from washable fabrics.
These stains may appear as a yellowish or orange mark on the fabric and could be slightly sticky or dry. They may also have a sweet or fruity smell.
Cold (65° to 75°F)
RATIONALE FOR WATER TEMP
Cold water helps to prevent the dye from setting and spreading.
The Science Behind Gatorade Stains
Gatorade contains pigments that give it its distinct color. These pigments can stain clothing because they are water-soluble and can easily attach to fabric fibers. When the pigments come into contact with fabric, they can quickly penetrate and bind to the fibers, causing a stain. Additionally, Gatorade contains electrolytes and sugars that can contribute to the staining process. The combination of these factors can make Gatorade stains difficult to remove, especially if they are not treated promptly.
What You'll Need To Get Rid Of Gatorade Stains
- Cold water
- Paper towels or clean cloth
- White vinegar or lemon juice
- Liquid laundry detergent
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Stain remover (e.g. OxiClean, Shout)
- Washing machine
Step By Step Process To Remove Gatorade Stains
- Blot the stain with paper towels or a clean cloth to remove as much excess liquid as possible.
- Flush the stain with cold water to further remove any remaining liquid.
- Mix one part white vinegar or lemon juice with two parts cold water, and soak the stained area in the solution for 15-30 minutes. Alternatively, you can apply liquid laundry detergent directly to the stain and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Rinse the stain with cold water.
- If the stain persists, mix one part hydrogen peroxide with two parts cold water, and apply it to the stain. Let it sit for 30 minutes before rinsing with cold water.
- If the stain is still visible, apply a stain remover such as OxiClean or Shout to the stain and let it sit for 5-10 minutes before rinsing with cold water.
- Wash the garment in cold water with your regular laundry detergent. Do not use hot water, as this can set the stain.
- Check the stain before drying. If it is still visible, repeat the steps above before drying.
- Dry the garment according to the care label.
Gatorade contains pigments that easily penetrate fabric fibers and cause stains. To remove these stains from washable fabrics, it's best to blot and flush the stain with cold water, then use a solution of white vinegar or lemon juice, liquid laundry detergent, and hydrogen peroxide. If the stain persists, use a stain remover before washing the garment in cold water. It's important to act quickly, check the care label, and test any cleaning solution on a small area before using it on the stain.
Want to share this?